Monday, April 20, 2009

Origins of the Red Carpet

Ceremonially, rolling out of the Red Carpet metaphorically represents the following the path of righteousness.


'your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.'
Psalms 119: 105 NIV



In the Old Testament nimble footedness was an image applied to a life of righteousness and obedience to God. Fleet of foot metaphorically guaranteed treading the path of righteousness and giving thanks to God for sure footedness was accepted. This meant there was value given to feet being ambulant.



'Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.'
Ps 17:5



God's providence was said to guard the feet of his saints.


'He will keep the feet of his saints, and the wicked shall be silent in darkness; for the strength shall no man prevail.'
1 Sam 2:9



The feet of the faithful, were also the concern of the Lord.

'They shall bear thee up in their hands , lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.'
Psalms 91: 13-15



Reference was made to the path as well was as walking on level ground.


'My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the Lord.'
Ps 26:12


'Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.'
Prov 4:26


'And make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way ; but let it rather be healed.'
Heb 12:13



Open blessing were requested in prayers that feet would not stray.


'Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from thy way.'
Ps 44:18


'I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep thy word.'
Ps 119:101


'An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief.'
Prov 6:18



Nor rush into sin.


'He that is`ready to slip with his feet is as a lamp despised in the thought of him that is at ease.'
Job 12:5


'Let not the foot of pride come against me, and let not the hand of the wicked remove me.'
Ps 36:11


'For thou has delivered my soul from death : wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?'
Ps 56: 13


'For thy feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.'
Prov 1:16


'Their feet run to evil, and they make haste to shed innocent blood: their thoughts are thoughts of iniquity ; wasting and destruction are in their paths.'
Is 59: 7


'They have loved to wander, they have not refrained their feet, therefore the Lord doth not accept them ;'
Jer 14:10



In the New Testament feet were not, by themselves, endearing. They were but an integral part of the human body of no more or less importance than any other. However it would be accurate to note the feet were used as a metaphor in the Holy Scriptures more frequently than other parts of the body.


'If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body ; is it therefore not of the body?'
1 Cor 12:15


'And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee : nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.'
1 Cor 12:21



Strong emphasis was placed on the strength of feet to spread the gospel.


'The Messiah will guide feet into the way of peace.'
Luke 1:79



When the message was rejected the bearers of the gospel were to shake the dust off their feet as a sign of protest and refuse to have anything to do with the place.


'And whoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of the house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.'
Matthew 10:14


'But they shook off the dust of their feet against them , and came unto Iconium.'
Acts 13: 51

No comments:

Post a Comment